Hyperlocal News Resources
Here’s recent interview (16.12.09) with the lovely Jeff Jarvis as he reflects on successful business models for hyperlocal news publishers.
- Examining the Features, Policies, and Resources of Citizen Journalism: Citizen News Sites and Blogs Stephen R. Lacy, Daniel Riffe, Esther Thorson, and Margaret Duffy WJMCR 15 (June 2009)
- Donna Shaw, “Really Local,” American Journalism Review, April/May 2007.
- Building Spaces for Hyperlocal Citizen Journalism A Bruns, J Wilson, B Saunders, A Brisbane – 2008
- Grassroots journalism in your own backyard: How citizen reporters build hyperlocal communities. Boyles, Jan Lauren, M.S.J., WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY, 2006
- From Print to Pixels: New and old media come together to provide hyperlocal content for a targeted audience in Northern Kentucky. Bowman, K.D. PRESSTIME VOL 30; NUMB 10 2008
- 8 Trends To Track in ’08 From measuring total audience to hyperlocal news coverage. PRESSTIME VOL 30; NUMB 1, pages 22-23 2008
- Dispatches From the Hyperlocal Future .Sterling, B. WIRED VOL 15; NUMB 7, pages 160-165 2008
- Rolling the Dice: Media companies have high hopes that hyperlocal news online will bolster their newspapers’ futures. But early returns suggest the financial outlook for such ventures is not bright. Farhi, P. AMERICAN JOURNALISM REVIEW VOL 29; NUMB 3; page(s)40-43; 2007
- Constituents of a Theory of Media by Hans Magnus Enzensberger
- Geographies of Media and Communications by Paul Adams
- Home territories : media, mobility and identity by David Morley
- Imagined communities : reflections on the origin and spread of nationalism by Benedict Anderson
- MediaSpace : place, scale and culture in a media age edited by Nick Couldr
- No Sense of Place : The Impact of Electronic Media on Social Behavior by Joshua Meyrowitz
- Online News: Journalism and the Internet by Stuart Allan
- Spaces of Identity: Global Media, Electronic Landscapes and Cultural Boundaries by D.Morley and K.Robins
- The Bias of Communication by Harold Innis
- The Language of New Media by Lev Manovich
- The Printing Revolution in early Modern Europe by Elizabeth L. Eisenstein
- The Rise of the Network Society by Manuel Castells
- The Second Media Age by Mark Poster
- The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere by Jurgen Habermas
- Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man by Marshall McLuhan
- Localism as a Political Philosophy
- The Pot hole Paradox from Steven Johnson
- The Geography of Facebook
- Guerrilla Geography Network which of course is on Facebook
- How the Social Media Converges with Mass Media What’s Missing from Today’s Hyperlocal Sites – Community Leadership
- Jeff Jarvis talking about the future of (hyperlocal)news
- This is a little off topic, but I could see any of these facinating resources really useful for a hyperlocal web publisher : 10 Web Apps To Build The Next Big Thing Without Writing Any Code (on a personal note is nice to link back to Sitepointan online resource I used for years when I taught web dev – nice to see you again guys!).v
- Bighowsonline journalism handbook
- Hyperlocal101is a great resource supporting the growing hyperlocal movement. What could be better than ‘Tools & Technique For the HyperLocal Revolution!’
- Knight Citizen News Network
- Localtweeps – get yourself found by tweets near you.
- New Media Makers : A toolkit for Innovators in Community Media and Grant Making. – This is US focused, but very useful none the less.
- 5 Tips for Building a Successful Hyperlocal Site – Some commensense issues to think about.
- Your Guide to Hyper-Local News by Mark Glaser
- The earliest citation of Hyper-local from Word Spy